Important data and intellectual property in business and the enterprise are susceptible to theft. The most common form of file transfer, sending files as email attachments, does not provide sufficient protection for sensitive corporate data. Thru provides a secure and convenient solution to empower knowledge workers and secure file transfers.
Retention and Archiving
Other tools for managing the increasingly large number of files include retention rules for file deletion and archiving. These tools can reduce the amount of storage retained on the Thru system which saves money and brings more organization to the file system.
- Multiple retention rules can be configured to delete files from Thru storage after any amount of time
- Set retention rules for the entire site, user groups, individual users, file type, or for individual folders
- Archiving relieves burden of emails servers by archiving emails to any local or notwork location for e-discovery
- Any number of folders can be set up for archiving (i.e. employee name, company name, project)
The folder structure of Thru facilitates simple management and flexibility with multiple options for sharing files with users, as well as keeping files private to an individual.
- Common folder for files shared across the company, department, groups, or particular users
- Home folders consist of a user’s personal files
- Thru Dropbox folder to which anyone who is not on the system (partners, customers, etc.) can upload files directly to the user
- Sent folder for all file transfers with options to make modifications after sending
Access to files and folders are controlled by user rights and roles, and they can be changed for users or groups to facilitate simple management. Since the owner of any folder can easily add access for other users or groups, administrators’ burden is significantly reduced.
- Access controls managed by groups or individual users
- Rights include: read, create, delete, modify, download, send, and manage
- Roles types including administrator, manager, partner manager, and member with varying access
- Special additional permissions specific to file access from mobile devices
Thru’s four role types allow enterprises and businesses to tier the management of their file transfer platform. Managers of functional groups can see what their employees are storing and sending, and enable or disable various access rights.
- Administrators manage all users and activities on the platform across the site
- Managers oversee their users but cannot change site options
- Partner managers are designated to manage users for each partner company when files are synced between companies
- Members access their individual home folder and any shared folders with no user or site administration capabilities
Thru utilizes groups to simplify management of a large number of users. This greatly simplifies the process of adding, removing, or modifying users’ access to various folders across the system.
- Create groups for departments and subsets of departments for use in access controls
- Simple management of groups by adding or removing individuals
- Default groups for users and administration of various services of the Thru Platform
- Set retention rules for file deletion based on groups
With the increase of high-profile security problems with consumer based file transfer apps, Thru takes precaution to ensure that application security is comprehensive. The following options are available for every Thru account:
- Active Directory integration and single sign-on (SSO)
- Optional automatic password expiration after any number of days
- Automatic login lockout
- Enable or disable reuse of previous password
- Require combinations of letters, digits, uppercase, lowercase, and special characters